Wednesday 8 August 2012

Colouring techniques: Isa

Hi, 
How about a bit of painting today? You might not know but Isa'sArt first painting medium were watercolours, which you can find in tubes, pans, 1/2 pans, pencils and sticks. Today, let's focus on the sticks


The sticks give you a lot of possibilities:
- you can pick up the colours as you would from pans
- you can colour your page with the stick and then blend with a wet brush, or a sponge or even spraying water on the page.
- you can mix them with other mediums


We sell the Derwent Inktense at the Craft Barn. Beautiful, "in(k)tense" colours to work with.

Here's a video which you can also find on our website that will show you how to use the sticks




Now over to Isabelle... 


The first thing I would recommend, when you invest in new products like paints, inks etc.. is to make a colour sample which will show you what the colours really look like. And it also mean that you can have a play with your new stash ;)
In this case, rub the stick on your card, and add the water from left to right to get a gradient effect.
Watercolours are transparent, the more water you add, the more transparent it gets.
For my sample today, I invite to have a PLAY to try out your watercolour sticks or pencils




I started by gluing a book page on a thick watercolour card. I then applied the colours next to each other. I then blended the colours with a wet brush (it is best to rinse your brush between each colour)
I then splattered black with a brush (as shown on the video - 6:30 min)




I then die cut my page, shaped the flowers, added a bit of dry white from the stick on the petals and added a brad in the center.
Doesn't this give you a lovely flower? 




Another tip?
Watercolour and gesso
To make the background for the tag, I started rubbed the stick on the grey card and then wet it with the brush: a simple way to make a distressed background.
I then used the card from the die-cuts and use it as a template to draw my flowers which I then paint picking up the colour from the stick with a wet brush.
Then I rub the blue stick on the tag and blend it with gesso this time, not water to get a lovely pastel effect.
A bit of stamping to finish it off (Crafty Individuals CI-326 and 328) and your tag is done ;)




Products Isabelle used:



See you tomorrow

5 comments:

  1. A stunning tag and this reminds me that I have some Derwent pencils somewhere! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tag, great texture on those flowers. Got distracted by Isa' Secret Nut over her blog had me mulling over ideas !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Isa for sharing this technique - LOVE it! It takes some practice, but I will be using it in (near) future! I did my entry for the challenge with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ce tag est absolument magnifique. J'adore...!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.