Friday 5 February 2016

Your Number is Up - Dawn Heald




Morning All,

Thank you for all your help yesterday,
I shall get back to the ladies and
see if they now know where they were 
going wrong!
You are such a clever lot!!

I'm a bit useless with computers,
I can just about muddle through on 
here but I'm very easily confused!
Ha ha, I can hear what you are saying!

So, today is National Numbers Day,
The DT were asked for something
'numerical'.  As usual they have come
up with some lovely projects.

We start with Dawn.....
this is so beautiful!


Dawn says.....
For numbers week I've used a Sculpture
 Block that I've carved into a number 6.
 I chose six as that's the number of 
our household minus the cats. 

You do need a long blade to cut right through
 the block so I used a thin kitchen knife after
 going part way through with craft knife. I can 
see lots of possibilities with these blocks
 including making stamps. Just take your time.

To make my project -
I found some tools that may be useful, as I 
couldn't find my carving kit.  Draw out your design.
 Transfer to block by either cutting out and 
drawing around it or place design on top and 
use an embossing tool to go over to leave an imprint
 of design. I did try pencil and tracing but it didn't work.


Carefully cut and carve out design. Use sand
 paper or sanding block to smooth edges
Use smaller tools to carve a design in the block.
 I used a curved tip and gouged out little
 leaf shapes, smoothed the insides with embossing
 tool. and used a quilling tool to make little dot holes. 


Coat with Decoart Media Ultra Matt Varnish
 to seal.
Using Fresco paints in light colours 
paint all over. Paint two coats. Then dry brush
 on a darker shade of paint so can see colour
 underneath in parts. 


Use silver gilding wax on edges.
Sprinkle over some White Ultra Thick 
Embossing Powder and melt.


Add some embellishments to decorate.


 I made a
 rose from paper painted with purple and
 stamped over in teal. Some leaves made
 from a Martha Stewart mold and a bead
 wire thing.


I was really pleased with the outcome.


 It withstood
 a heat tool to dry paint and powder. And a tip if
 you carve a mistake you can fill it in with grunge
 paste or Media Sand paste, dry then sand smooth.
 What do you think? What else can you think of
 with these. I'd love to hear. Thanks for checking 
in here today. X


So what do you think??
I just love it.

This is what Dawn used -

1 comment:

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.